Wednesday, June 21, 2006

The one that got away...

2005 was def a year of the 'comeback' for R&B ladies such as MC and Mary J Blige, but one other R&B diva came out with an album and some how got lost in the shuffle. In September of 2005 Toni Braxton came out with LIBRA. I remember slighty hearing about it and seeing the ads on BET for the cd; but the only song I had heard was the first single 'Please' and if you are a gay male that goes out to clubs. Im sure you have heard the remix played because it's def a club banger. After seeing Toni on the finale of American Idol my interest in her were sparked again and I decided to look into her music. For a lady who has been out for 10 years she def has her own catalog of hits 'He wasnt man enough for me, Unbreak my heart, 7 whole days'. What I really wanted was to find songs that I havent heard before and that's when I really came across LIBRA. It's almost like a rare gem, that was hidden and I lucked up and stumble acrossed it. Unlike most cds these days LIBRA only has 10 songs, Im not sure if her record company kinda gave up on here and decided not to push the album or what? Out of the 10 songs I found 6 to be really good, which may not seem like a lot but the days of a person listening and loving a whole cd are long gone. I highly suggest these in this order for you to check out....

Shadowless
Stupid
Trippin' (That's the Way Love Works)
Take This Ring
I Wanna Be (Your Baby)
Please

I have to say I love love love. 'Shadowless' and 'Stupid', more so for the sexy jazz vibe the songs gives off. On her last cd "More Than a Woman", Toni tired to get on the hip/hop band wagon with the showcase of rapper dropping lines. But this time it's just Toni back to her basics and she def shines. I only wish the cd got the recognition it deserved. pics via toni braxton online

No comments: