Saturday, September 08, 2007

artist or Douchebag?

First of all let me state that this is an opinion blog. And that I respect the opinions of others. Which brings me to the recent blog FourFour did about Justin Timberlake's Labor Day FutureSex/LoveShow concert.

Some of the issues Rich over at fourfour had about the concert where that "He's the kind of asshole who tells people to get out their lighters (and, in a 2007 twist, cell phones!) to salute him during a ballad. He laughs at his own unfunny jokes. He makes falsetto interjections for no reason. He wipes a (one) nonexistent tear from his eye to exemplify gratitude. He acts like he's playing the guitar, when in fact, he might not be. he dichotomy of his pipsqueak Lothario and castrated pussy personas that made FutureSex/LoveSounds such a chore to get through is only amplified in his live show. I don't buy either act. They're so flashy and broad and cartoonishly dudeish, it's as though he was raised by '80s-movie frat boys. I know that pop music revels in falseness, but Timberlake's shtick is particularly unbelievable. I'm insulted that he thinks I'm dumb enough to buy it.

Let me also stay that Rich is a extremely smart and talented journalist and I love his blog. BUT totally disagree with his characterization of the show. It was in fact just that a show, maybe sometimes a little over the top, but this wasnt an MTV Unplugged special. Maybe Im just a dumb Justin Timberlake fan, but I like to think I can enjoy good music, and JT makes good music. Since I am not a professional journalist who has written for many of the most notable music magazines out there I think I can enjoy the show for what it was. And not for what it was not.

Check out the clip above Rich has assembled some clips that best exemplify "his douchiness. If you're with me on that point, I think you'll get this. If you're not, and you actually like the guy, I feel like this video will be a big so-what. In that case, you're already gone and there's nothing I can do for you. Tonight, I shall drying a (one) nonexistent tear for you." You can fault a man who would go though so much trouble just to prove his point.

No comments: